As a member of the Association of Children's Museums, we had the opportunity to attend the ACM's InterActivity preconference in Philadelphia last month. Here are some interesting tidbits:
- At our table, emerging museums from Florida, Vermont, Pennsylvania, and Calgary, Alberta were represented.
- Plans for a children's museum in Brookings, SD are moving forward. Another in Mankato, MN is looking for a permanent location much like CMR.
- Feasibility studies are important for the success of the future museum (CMR has completed both a marketing feasibility as well as a fundraising feasibility study).
- The ACM is launching an emerging museum toolkit this summer due to the generosity of an anonymous donor.
- The passion of the volunteers involved in these emerging museums at the conference was clearly evident. These people are driven to improve the educational and family opportunities in their respective communities.
- And finally, a cloud can weigh over 500 tons!! :-)
We look forward to attending next year's conference (rumored to be coming to our backyard in St. Paul!)